Saturday February 19, 2011
Milos Raonic wins over Mardy Fish
MEMPHIS, United States--(LadyDragon.com)19/02/11--Milos is at it again this time his victim is Mardy Fish where again Milos wins in 3 sets and Milos reaches the Final for the second week in a row.
- Mardy Fish, 29, is appearing in his first ATP World Tour semi-final of the season (5-2 mark) and hes dropped one set this week, in the second round against Lukas Lacko 67(5) 64 76(3) He also beat Russian Teymuraz Gabashvili 61 75 in the first round and No. 5/defending champ Sam Querrey 63 64 in QFs
- He has a 15-10 career mark in Memphis and this is the Americans third semi-final He was a semifinalist in 04 (l. to J. Johansson) and 07 (l. to No. 9 Haas) Also won the doubles title in 09 (w/Knowles)
- This week he is No. 2 in return games won (10 of 35, 29%) and No. 3 in second serve pts. won (59%)
- Last year won a personal-best two ATP World Tour titles (Newport, Atlanta) and a runner-up in two others (Queens, ATP Masters 1000 Cincinnati) while finishing a personal-best No. 16 ranking
- Has a 5-12 career record in finals (1-2 indoors) and won his lone indoor title in Stockholm in 03
- Milos Raonic, 20, who is appearing in his ninth career ATP World Tour level tournament, is making his second straight ATP World Tour semi-final (or better) In his Memphis debut, has won three straight three-set matches, including back-to-back third set tie-break wins over No. 2 seed Fernando Verdasco and 09 finalist Radek Stepanek He hit a career-high and tournament record (since 1991) 38 aces on Thursday On Friday, he beat Robert Kendrick 64 36 63, hitting 20 aces
? He leads the tournament in aces (74) and is No. 4 in service games won (93%, 43 of 46)
? The Thornhill, Ontario resident has made the biggest jump from last years year-end South African Airways ATP Rankings, improving from No. 156 to No. 59 He will move to around No. 45 thus far and around No. 37 if he reaches the final (around No. 32 if wins the title)
- Last week in San Jose the top Canadian captured his first career ATP World Tour title over Verdasco in two tie-breaks He was broken once during the week and led the tournament with 58 aces
- He became the first Canadian to win an ATP World Tour title since Greg Rusedski captured the title in Seoul in April 1995 (he also won in Newport in July 1993)
- At last months Australian Open, he qualified and posted wins over Bjorn Phau, No. 24 Michael Llodra and No. 10 Mikhail Youzhny before losing to No. 7 David Ferrer in four sets
- At this time one year ago he was ranked No. 361 and lost in the first round of qualifying at the Belgrade Challenger
Mardy serving first at 1 all Milos breaks and takes the lead 3-1. Well guess what an other ace from Milos to give him the win of the first set 6-4 in 36 minutes.
Well surprisingly Mardy had no ace in the set and Milos had 10 plus their was only 1 break point point in the entire set and took the opportunity and ran with it.
Mardy serving first 1-0. Well for the first time in the match Milos goes down triple break points but fights back to win the next 5 points to win the point 1-1. Very impressive composure from Milos. 5-4 on serve, Milos serving to stay in the set. A very long game where his second double fault of the set gives the second set 6-4 to Mardy. And again Milos losses the second set.
Milos had again 10 aces and saw no break point from Mardy.
In the third set, Milos gets back on track and takes the break and now at 5-3 Mardy is serving to stay in the match. Milos breaks to win the third set 6-3 and the match in 2
Milos finishes the match with 23 aces. When Milos serves at least 20 aces in a match with this win he has a record of 8-0 win plus it is his 4th top 20 wins of the year.
Now Milos is in the final for the second week in a row along with Rebecca Marino so a great week for Tennis Canada.
Rebecca playing tonight at 8pm and Milos will play the winner of the other semi-final that will be played at 4 pm between Andy Roddick and Juan Martin Del Potro.